Friday, July 5, 2013

We Can't Stop

I'm part of an interesting generation - we are completely and outrageously wild. When we need to work, we work. But when its time to party, there ain't no holding back.

I speak to my grandparents about the good old black and white days where showing a bit of legs was far too provocative and the highlight of the week was Dorothy's monthly house party. When I ask "Tell me about your wildest times in your youth", Granny's highlights aren't so enticing. Its seems for women the goal of those times was to get married. No disrespect to that goal.

These days women have so many more opportunities than before. We no longer rely on men for financial stablilty and we certainly don't see marrying as the ultimate goal in life.

We work hard and we party hard.

Miley Cyrus' new music video for the song "We Can't Stop" is a bit overboard and may be unacceptably shocking to the faint hearted but I think the video does a very good job of capturing our generation. Not necessarily the imagery but definitely the lyrics and feel of the song.

Just to make it clear, I don't particularly like this music video but it does paint a pretty good picture of the attitude of my generation. Also, I don't necessarily think we're better off than Granny's generation.  If anything, we're probably more messed up. Who knows. Take this article as a "social finding" and not a personal attitude/stance.

- Rivkah Hope



No comments: